Sunday, October 18, 2009

Birthday happenings!

It was my 24th birthday on Thursday, and I wasn't expecting too much considering I already got my big pressie (my new camera) in early September so that I could go on the photography workshop with Steve Rutherford.

I did receive a lovely surprise from John when I woke up though:


I completely wasn't expecting this!  So far John and I have done our 30 minutes every day, and I'm pleased to announce that there are a number of the exercises that I can beat John!

The other 'big' gift, bought using some money I was given:



A sewing machine that works!  Yes, it works.  Wonderfully well.  It is quite a basic machine (ie I think about 20 stitches and no fancy electronics) but that's all I need.  I'm hoping that this machine will last me for a good number of years to come, unlike the Brother machine that I received 3 years ago for my 21st birthday and hasn't worked properly a day in its life.  I was lucky that Spotlight had a big sale on the day of my birthday, and combined with my VIP 10% birthday discount it worked out to be quite a bargain! 

After 'complaining' to John earlier in the week that I never get any handmade cards (although only kidding) John woke up early on Thursday to make me a card using my scrapping supplies.  I won't post any pictures here (or I can guarantee that will be the last card he makes me!) but it was lovely!  We also went out to Hogs Breath for dinner on Thursday, which has sort of become a tradition on each of our birthdays.  I love their steaks!

Needless to say I don't really deserve any more presents at Christmas time!  I think I've well and truly exceeded my quota!

Tomorrow is another Creative Shots meeting, so I'll post the photos that I'm going to be entering shortly.

The Twilight series is killing me!  I finished the first book one evening, and the next day at lunchtime wasn't able to get to the shops to buy the next one.  I had John drive me to the shops after I finished work so that I could buy the rest of the series because I couldn't wait a minute longer!  I think that was on Tuesday, and I'm now over half way through the third one!  I was so certain before I started that I wouldn't be sucked in by them - after all, who could be so into high school vampire romances?  Well, me, it turns out!  I just need to get the movie out now so that I can watch it before the next one comes out in about a month (according to Fiona's blog).

A reader, Maryanne, has told me that she has bought 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' after reading my comments here, and that she's loving it so far.  Fiona has also mentioned that she'd like to read them, so I hope they don't disappoint (although I'm sure they won't).  I'm just sad that I've already read them, and so I can't read them again for the first time!  Does anyone else feel like that when they've finished a really great book?  I'm also a little upset that I'm reading the Twilight series so quickly - I should slow down and savour them otherwise I'll be finished too soon!

I'll be back tomorrow with some photos...

2 comments:

Maryanne Ridgway said...

No the book didnt disappoint, I thought Id start having a browse at it yesterday morning while having my coffee in bed, but ended up reading up to page 155, then I was called into work and didnt get home until 10 last night.As I was so tired from work, I thought Id not bother reading last night, but ended up reading in the bath until 2.30am.Today in between washing, cooking, and vacuuming etc, I had my nose buried in it, and finished while eating my tea tonight.Unfortunately, I live in a town without a bookstore so I will have to take a trip to my nearest bookstore later in the week for the other 2.
And I am like you, when I get into a book, I have trouble putting it down, and feel so disappointed when its ended.I also didnt think I would like twilight, actually was going to buy it for my sister as more her kind of thing.I did love it, but havnt really watched the movie , as so many have said it just doesnt compare to the books!

Maryanne Ridgway said...

ps.happy birthday!!!!!!!