Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Last night's photo club meeting

I was excited to go to the photo club meeting last night, considering I hadn't been since April I think. I was also excited to show some of my favourite photos from our trip, which I entered into the competitions.

(Excuse the additional white space around some of the photos. The photos were cropped as sort of panoramic photos, so there is an excess of space around some photos that will just show up as plain white.)

I got two third places - 'House of Bols' for 'Pure Talent' and 'Storm over Stonehenge' for Enhance It.

'House of Bols' - taken at the House of Bols (hence the creative name) in Amsterdam. I just loved the colours.

'Storm over Stonehenge' - pretty self explanatory, really. I just did some creative Photoshop editing to make it a bit more lively and colourful than the original photo.


The other entries were:
Mykonos Sunset (Pure Talent):

Budapest Bridge (Pure Talent):


Rhode Island jumpers (Enhance It):


Venice (Enhance It):


Napoleon's Chateau (Monotone):


Birkenau railroad (Monotone):


Eiffel Tower (Monotone) - for some reason this never printed at Harvey Norman, so wasn't actually entered into the competition! It was supposed to be, though:


There were some photos last night that were so stunning, just really beautiful. I was glad to get anything really!

The current monthly topic is 'Cities', something which I have some great subjects for now!

I'm still trying to even think about where to start with all my photos. Apart from choosing these ones and editing them for the club meeting, I haven't really touched any of the photos! I would really love to have some made into canvases for the walls, but which ones to choose? On which walls? What size/shape/how many? And don't even get me started on the photobook! I've decided not to scrapbook the photos as such, although I do plan on scrapping some of my favourites just for my normal 2010 album. I won't do a scrapbook of the trip though, I intend on making a photobook. Something like this one, from Nicole Southworth:






I love the simplicity of it, how the photos stand by themselves, but how there's still flexibility for some journalling and text if I want it.  I'm going to design it myself in photoshop and upload it to Harvey Norman Photos or Big W or Snapfish or something. I've started working on the templates already, but haven't even started choosing photos or editing them. Hey, plenty of time, right?

Anyway, any ideas for canvases/large prints etc just throw them my way. Our walls are still quite bare, despite being in our house for 3.5 years. The only things on the walls are some blank canvases that I covered in some fabric a couple of years ago now, which still look great. But there are still lots of blank walls that would love some decoration I think.

Mum and Dad are up this weekend - yay! They haven't seen my ring yet, so I'll get to show them.  Here are some photos I took of the ring on the weekend.  (The photo club had a creative workshop, where I was able to sneak in a couple of minutes to take these.)





A bit cliche, I suppose, but I still like them!

I wasn't going to post these, but while I'm at it, these are a couple of other shots I managed to sneak in on the weekend. Nothing too spectacular, but not too bad.





Not sure if you can tell, but the whole idea of my particular station was 'reflections'. Because I was manning the station, I didn't really get to play around at all, but some of the shots that others were getting were great. There was also some ink photography and some coloured smoke photos that from what I saw turned out fantastic!

Anyway, I'm at the end of my lunchtime now, so I'll be back again in a little while hopefully with some more stuff.  I've been working on putting some things together with some of the photos from our photoshoot last year that I still haven't really scrapped, so I'll post them next time.

2 comments:

Fiona Kroll said...

So glad you posted your photo entries. They all look great. The competition must have been pretty fierce. I didn't end up going because I've had the flu, and yesterday off work.

kimsmyth said...

had a ball at your reflections stations - thanks. Got some fantastic shots - will post soon. Your travel photos are beautiful - thanks for sharing, cant wait to see more.